2017 Winter Showcase Information
Children under 3: FREE
Guidelines for the Performance
Things to Bring
- Dance shoes
- Bottle of water
- Costumes and accessories as specified by your teacher
- Holiday cheer!
Before the Performance
- Dancers should be checked in on stage, and ready for studio warm-up by 3:00 pm. There will be an instructor at the front of the stage checking in dancers.
- Arrive wearing your first dance’s costume with hair and makeup done. (Hair, makeup, and costume information is located on the next page.)
- If the dancer is performing in more than one routine, they may place their belongings in the dressing area. The entrance to the dressing area and backstage is through the doors on the left side of the auditorium near the stage.
- Dance Discovery, Tutus & Taps, and Tippity-Tap & Hippity-Hop dancers are NOT required to participate in the studio warm-up and may remain with their families.
During the Performance
- Dancers should line up backstage 3 dances ahead of their class’s performance.
- When dancers are not performing or changing, they may sit in a specified area on the left side of the auditorium near the backstage doors.
- Dance Discovery, Tutus & Taps, and Tippity-Tap & Hippity-Hop dancers may sit with their families before and after their class’s performance.
- Please remind your dancer not to get up and down from their seats in the middle of a performance. This is a very important part of respect and etiquette in dance performance.
- Flash photography during the performance is expressly prohibited. This is a distraction and dangerous to the dancers performing on stage.
- Anyone caught using flash photography during the performance will be asked to leave. Photography is permitted without the use of a flash.
After the Performance
- Dancers will be released from the designated seating area following the performance.
Hair, Makeup, and Costumes
Hair and Makeup
We know you want your dancer to look the very best on stage- we do too!
Stage makeup and a uniform hair style is an important part of having a professional appearance for performances. Please note that we are not promoting the use of makeup for young girls out in public, but rather teaching them the appropriate use within the art form of dance. Stage lights tend to “wash out” and “flatten” the features on people’s faces. It is for this reason all dancers performing should wear stage makeup and have the appropriate hair style.
Dancers in Ballet dances - Hair should be in a neat, high bun.
Dancers in all other dance styles - Hair should be in a neat, low ponytail.
Dancers in Ballet and other styles - Hair should be in a neat, high bun for the whole show.
Here’s a basic guide to stage makeup. If you’re interested in purchasing makeup specifically for the stage, Ben Nye, Mehron, and Kryolan are common brands used by theatre and dance professionals.
- Start with a layer of foundation, applied with a latex sponge. You want to achieve a nice even coverage. For lighter skin tones, choose a foundation a few shades darker than your natural tone as this will help combat the bleaching effect of stage lights.
- Carefully brush some neutral setting powder over the eyelids to set the foundation as that is one of the most common areas for the foundation to crease.
- Apply powder to the rest of the face. Once all shine has disappeared, you will know that the foundation has been set properly.
- Use an eyebrow pencil to define to shape of the eyebrows. Go heavier than you normally would as the lights will bleach out a lot of the definition.
- To define the eyes, use a black liquid eyeliner going from the inner eye to the outer corner. If possible try to do it in one sweep and remember to stay close to the lash line.
- Use black mascara to coat the eye lashes from root to tip. Work it into the eyelashes.
- It is important to use blush on stage to define bone structure. Choose a bold color. Don't be afraid of rosy pinks or deep golds, depending on your skin tone.
- Apply the blush to the cheekbones and sweep downwards. The stage lights will take away a lot of it so don't worry if in a normal light you think it is too bright.
- One of the most common lip colors for the stage is a bright red as it really helps to define the lips. Bolder colors are better under stage lights than more natural or muted ones.
Voila! Quick and easy stage makeup.
Please keep in mind that identical costumes are not a requirement for this showcase, as long as dancers are wearing an outfit resembling the descriptions on the next page.
If your dancer’s instructor has specified to wear a costume other than what is written in the chart on the next page please follow his/her instructions.
|Dance Discovery Tuesdays 5:00 pm||Ballet||Pink||White top, black leggings, (white tutu, scarf provided)|
|Dance Discovery Saturdays 9:30 am||Ballet||Pink||Black or pink leo, hat/gloves/scarf, (black ballet skirts provided)|
|Tutus & Taps Tuesdays 5:30 pm||Ballet||Pink||Pink leotard, (white tutus provided)|
|Hip-Hop & Tap Wednesdays 6:00 pm||Tap||n/a||Winter pajamas, small blanket or open sweater|
|Tutus & Taps Saturdays 10:00 am||Ballet||Pink||Black or pink leo, (santa hat from home or studio)|
|Ballet FUNdamentals Tuesdays 6:15 pm||Ballet||Pink||Black leo, (cream tutus, flower barrett studio provided)|
|Hip-Hop FUNdamentals Wednesdays 5:30 pm||Sneakers||n/a||black jeans or leggings, green top, (Santa hats provided)|
|Building Ballet Tuesdays 6:00 pm||Ballet||Pink||Black leo, red/white/green t-shirt, (black ballet skirts provided)|
|Building Jazz Tuesdays 6:45 pm||Jazz||n/a||Black leggings/shorts and red/green/white top, Winter hat|
|Building Hip-Hop Wednesdays 6:45 pm||Sneakers||n/a||blue jeans, red/white top, any red white or green accessories|
|Modern 1 Wednesdays 7:30 pm||Barefoot||n/a||black leotard, black leggings, (Blue tops studio provided)|
|Building Tap Thursdays 5:30 pm||Tap||n/a||Black leggings, green shirt|
|TEEN Modern Tuesdays 7:30 pm||Barefoot||n/a||black shorts, white oversized tee/tunic|
|TEEN Tap Wednesdays 7:30 pm||Tap||n/a||Black pants, (ugly) christmas sweater|
|TEEN Hip-Hop Wednesdays 8:15 pm||Sneakers||n/a||Josiah- black jeans, red top, (Santa hat provided) Ladies- denim jeans blue or black, red top, any red or white accessories, (Santa hat provided)|
|TEEN Ballet Thursdays 7:15 pm||Ballet||Pink||Black leo, (black ballet skirts provided)|
|TEEN Jazz Thursdays 8:15 pm||Jazz||n/a||Black leggings, dancer's own "flowy" style top|
|Ballet 2 Tuesdays 5:00 pm||Ballet||Pink||Black leo, (black ballet skirts and accessory provided)|
|Ballet 2/3 Saturdays 10:45 am||Ballet||Pink||Black Leo, (black ballet skirts and accessory provided)|
|Ballet 3/4 Tuesdays 7:30 pm||Ballet||Pink||Black leo, colored accessory (black ballet skirts provided)|
|Ballet 4 / Pointe Saturdays 12:00 pm||Pointe||Pink||Black leo, colored accessory, (black ballet skirts provided)|
|Tap 2 Wednesdays 6:30 pm||Tap||n/a||Black leggings, Christmas t-shirt or red or green t-shirt|
|Tap 3/4/5 Thursdays 8:00 pm||Tap||n/a||Black leggings, solid red shirt, (drummer hat provided)|
|Jazz 2 Thursdays 6:15 pm||Jazz||n/a||black leggings , black top, (red halter will be provided)|
|Jazz 3 Mondays 6:30 pm||Jazz||n/a||Black leggings, solid color shirt, hat/gloves/scarf|
|Jazz 4 Mondays 7:30 pm||Jazz||n/a||Black leggings, red Christmas socks, red Christmas t-shirt|
|Hip-Hop 2 Thursdays 5:15 pm||Sneakers||n/a||Black bottoms and top, blue accent pieces|
|Hip-Hop 3/4 Thursdays 6:15 pm||Sneakers||n/a||Jeans, black shirts|
|Modern 2/3 Mondays 7:30 pm||Black Socks||n/a||black leggings, black socks, colored shirt (red or green)|
|Modern 4 Mondays 6:30 pm||Black Socks||n/a||black leggings, black socks, colored shirt (red or green)|